Bathroom Remodel Materials: How to Choose the Right Ones
Bathroom Material | Materials for Bathroom Remodel | Bathroom Remodeling Materials
Before you start buying bathroom stuff like vanities and countertops, it’s important to have a clear plan for your bathroom makeover. You should figure out what you want to achieve and what’s most important to you. You can do this by using a questionnaire and worksheet that help you think about your bathroom’s daily use and your goals for it. It’s also helpful to look at different bathroom designs to get an idea of what you want.
Once you’ve got your plan, it’s a good idea to decide on all the details of your project, like what kind of fixtures, materials, and finishes you want, including the little stuff like hardware. Doing this before you start the project will give you a better idea of how much it will cost, which is important because costs can quickly get out of control.
When you’re picking out fixtures and materials, it’s a good idea to visit special stores that focus on things like plumbing, lighting, flooring, and cabinets. This way, you can see what’s available and get advice from the experts who work there.
According to Cameron Snyder, who knows a lot about this stuff, it’s really important to choose everything, even down to the lighting and medicine cabinet, before you start your project. Otherwise, what you thought was a $30,000 project could turn into a $50,000 one because the allowances contractors give you might not be realistic.
So, with your goals, floor plan, and budget in mind, think about all the cool things you can do with your bathroom and make choices that match what you need.
Things to Think About When Choosing Materials for Your Bathroom
- Design: Think about how you want your new bathroom to look before you start. Show pictures of what you like to your contractor and explain your ideas clearly.
- Heat Resistance: Bathrooms can get really warm and steamy, especially after a hot shower. Your materials should be able to handle this heat. This includes resisting the heat from hot hair tools left on the countertop. Some materials that can handle the heat well are quartz, granite, marble, natural stone, and ceramic tile.
- Moisture Resistance: Bathrooms are often wet and humid due to showers and baths. So, it’s super important that the materials you choose can handle the moisture. This applies to things like the vanity, bathroom floor, and walls.
Selecting the Right Materials for Your Bathroom Remodel
When it comes to starting your bathroom remodel, the first big step is choosing the right materials. Here are some tips on how to pick materials for your bathroom makeover.
1. Bathroom Flooring
- Your choice of flooring is crucial. Consider durability, moisture resistance, and slip prevention to keep you and your family safe.
- Popular options include ceramic tile, natural stone, vinyl, laminate, and cork.
- Think about how well the flooring handles foot traffic, heat, water, and ease of cleaning.
- You can even add a heated floor for extra comfort, which costs around $600 for a small bathroom.
2. Ceramic Tile Floors
- Ceramic tiles can be a bit tricky to clean due to the grout. To make cleaning easier, opt for larger tiles with thinner grout lines.
- These tiles often have texture to prevent slipping, and you can get creative by combining different tile sizes and patterns.
3. Choosing Wall Materials
- Unlike floors, bathroom walls are more forgiving. Go for materials that resist moisture, mold, mildew, and rot.
- Tiling is a great choice for bathroom walls, ensuring both moisture resistance and a stylish appearance.
- Other options for wall tiling include mosaic tiles, beadboard, tileboard, natural stone tile, glass tile, porcelain tile, and ceramic tile.
- If you decide to paint your bathroom walls, always use paint specifically designed for bathrooms, as it’s resistant to moisture and mildew.
4. Bathroom Countertops
- Your choice of countertop depends on your budget and personal preferences.
- Common materials are granite, marble, and quartz, which add value and aesthetics to your home.
- Wood vanity tops provide warmth and an organic look but need proper sealing to prevent water damage.
- Vanity tops should be durable enough to withstand water, soap, and cosmetics while serving as a workspace.
5. Bathroom Cabinets
- Bathroom cabinets can transform the look and feel of your bathroom, so choose ones that you love and are durable.
- Plywood-based cabinets are a good choice for longevity and value.
- Cabinet materials typically include solid wood, plywood, medium-density fiberboard (MDF), and PVC.
- Cabinets offer storage space to keep your bathroom organized and clean, and modern medicine cabinets can have extra features like a TV, lights, and a mirror.
6. Bathroom Fixtures
- Your fixtures and finishes are a matter of personal preference, but quality matters. Opt for high-quality stainless steel over plastics or lower-grade metals.
- Shower fixtures should match your bathroom’s size, and a free-standing tub can add elegance if space allows.
- Consider a wet room design for a sleek, leak-free, and easy-to-clean bathroom.
- For sinks, you can choose between vessel sinks, deeper under-mounted sinks, or classic pedestal-style sinks.
- Faucets with built-in ceramic disks are practical and long-lasting, reducing the risk of leaks.
- Toilets come in various styles and heights, with taller toilets being more comfortable for many homeowners.
Remember to take your time in selecting materials that match your style, budget, and the practical needs of your bathroom.
Steps to Obtain a Kitchen Remodel Permit
The bathroom is a vital part of any home and gets a lot of daily use. So, it’s essential that everything in your bathroom functions correctly.
If you’re in Houston, Texas, we recommend choosing a Unique Builder for your Bathroom Remodeling needs. We offer a wide range of services in the area, ensuring your project is in capable hands. Our experts will guide you every step of the way to achieve the best results.
We are certified and highly skilled in bathroom remodeling in Houston. To guarantee the longevity of your bathroom, we use top-quality waterproof materials. Whether you’re giving your existing bathroom a makeover or adding a completely new one, we have got you covered.
Reach out to us today for a complimentary consultation. Your dream bathroom is just a call away!